Deerseeker How to hunt whitetail deer

Helpful hints and stories from my hunting adventures and seasonal updates as things unfold.

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Why I Use Trail Cameras To Scout Deer Trails

Well bad news here in Kauai, first after retrieving the camera which was on a heavy trail for 2 weeks I got zero pics of deer. Turns out that pig hunters were also running dogs in the same area which moved the deer out.
To add insult to injury the weekend that I was picked to hunt was a total rain out. I don't mean a drizzel I mean downpours that you couldn't see 3 feet.

If anyone else out there has Hawaii hunting stories feel free to send me a note. Either at my site Deerseeker.com or to this blog.
On another note:
I have noticed a large surge in traffic from hunters looking for information
on " What to do if you don't see deer at your stand ?" Also "Will a ladder stand spook deer ?" Fron here on in I will answer questions to the hot search terms hunters are using to find my genuine hunting information.

I will answer the ladder question here. A few things come in to play when using a ladder stand. First it is obviously larger and easier to see. So I make sure to place the stand in the hunting area as early as possible for 3 specific reasons.

1. The longer it is setup the more accustomed the deer will become to seeing it and it won't gain unnecessary attention from deer while your in it. Granted you don't make any of the common mistakes tree stand hunters commit that are covered in my book.

2. Since assembly and setup take more time and hand contact with the stand. You need more time for your scent to disperse. You should also wear rubber gloves to avoid contaminating it with your scent more than needed. I like to give at least 2 weeks for it clear out. Your also need time for the floor of the woods to clear of your scent. So take all necessary precautions to avoid stinking up your area.

3. This is the main reason I don't use ladder stands, your stuck in one area which forces your to use the same tree day after day. This stinks up the area. Any buck worth his nose will avoid that area like the plague. The deer realizes that has a permanent scent that doesn't belong in the woods. To learn methods of scent control check out my site.

Well that's my 2 cents on whether ladder stands spook or scare deer. For more on how to choose a tree for your stand or how to save money on hunting gear. Check out my site Deerseeker.com

Happy Hunting,
Deerseeker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home